Monday, September 21, 2009

Test bout against Sample Robot!

We are getting closer to the big fight and in the process testing and refining our robots against the sample robots we reviewed. Ever since our group discussion on designing counter measures against sample robots, I have been planning a robot that will win against all of the sample robots. My strategy is similar to the sample robot Walls. After reviewing each sample robots, I learned that Walls outlast the other robots by avoiding enemy fires, since it travels a long distance along the perimeter of the wall. I am adopting Walls because of this attribute, hence the name of my robot WallEE. I added some movement where whenever it scans an enemy, it goes back so that it will have another chance to shoot at the enemy. Another thing I added is just a simple avoidance strategy where it changes direction if it gets hit.

My robot did great against each sample robots. I purposely added the avoidance strategy just to defeat Ramfire and Walls itself. Those were the only robots that sometimes would fare better than WallEE. This is one of the things I had to improve on, to get a better percentage of winning. I realized that these two sample robot wins because they cornered mines. So I added a firing criteria where my robot fires a bullet with its power relative to the enemy's distance. This strategy, coupled with the avoidance strategy improved that percentage. I learned that I have to improve my robot's overall functions, movement, tracking and firing, so that it is equipped with different functions counter the sample robots

I learned from this experience, that adding functions to counter a specific enemy strategy is inefficient. I have to improve my robot's overall functions, movement, tracking and firing, so that it is equipped with different functions to counter the sample robots. This would be something I would've done differently. I would've tried a strategy that works on most enemies since it's too tedious to plan a counter for every strategy.

Download: WallEE

0 comments:

Post a Comment