Monday, February 15, 2010

Stoplight Gadget 1.4


Stoplight Gadget version 1.4 is the last version that our group is going to work on. Our meeting with Prof. Johnson last week has resulted in the introduction of a new gadget idea. It was only an idea so we didn't go into details and so the meeting shifted into how our group is going to finish up the Stoplight Gadget and get it ready for publication. I thought that this was a good idea since I feel that if we added more functionality to our gadget it beats the purpose of having a gadget that is easy to use, returns a concise information to the user and most importantly keeping it clean and uncluttered. For our final version, it is mostly about three issues that we've discussed which are error handling, unit addition, and the stoplight image. The stoplight image is still one of the problems since we tried to have a scalable image in order to accommodate users with lower resolution screens. Some other things we talked about in the meeting is the addition of better message and mainly the addition of the units.

The error handling issue, which was delegated as my job, was to add a text error messages to be displayed whenever a user input and data source errors arise. The process was not that hard but it took me a long time to finish it and go through my initial testing. It was mainly because of how I edited my code locally and then commit the changes through SVN and lastly test inputs through iGoogle with the gadget editor. This is one of the more frustrating time for me since I know that there are alternatives out there such as Google's own deskstop application. This is something I am highly considering in regards to working for the next gadget project.

Even though this is going to be the last version that we've worked on, I know that this project will never be labeled as finished. The Stoplight Gadget project will be an ongoing project to improve not only because it will be published but a way to showcase this as my accomplishment for possible employers.

Our project Hosting site can be accessed here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment